Government Information: Other Nations, IGOs & NGOs
United Nations & Canadian Documents
What is an IGO?
- An international IGO is a group of sovereign states, often established through a treaty, with mutual intersests which works toward a unified goal.
Non-governmental Organizations Portals
What is an NGO?
- An NGO, or Non-governmental Organization, is an organization focused on humanitarian issues, often social problems with a political aspect (eg. human rights, relief services, women's rights).
- NGOs may receive partial or full funding from governments (including Inter-Governmental Organizations) but are not directly part of the structure of any government. NGOs also generally exclude government representatives from membership.
What kind of information do international NGOs produce?
- Publications describing their work
- Publications describing and evaluating problems
- Policy suggestions (e.g. green papers)
- Conference papers and publications
- Case studies
- International statistics concerning humanitarian issues
Here are some resources for learning more about elections and how they are used in other countries around the world.