Comparative Politics: Cultures & Political Background
Why Cultural Information?
Understanding a nation's culture and political background is essential for researching in comparative politics. The resources on this page are places where you can find good background information about a nation's political system, political history, political parties, cultures, and more.
Cultural & Minority Information
- World Directory of Minorities and Indigenous PeopleThis resource comes from Minority Rights Group International.
Non-US Data Sources
- OECD iLibraryProvides full text access to books, journals, and statistical databases produced by Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development's (OECD) online library.
- World Health OrganizationFind publications, reports, data, and statistics compiled and written by the World Health Organization.
- Population Reference BureauProvides international data on population, health, and the environment.
- International Statistical Programs - Census BureauList of links from the U.S. Census Bureau to international statistical agencies and websites.
- EIU Viewpoint (Economist Intelligence Unit)Reports on country commerce, country finance, and doing business in various countries. Now called EIU Viewpoint
- Country StudiesDetailed studies of countries with a focus on economic conditions, geography, government & politics, history, national security, society, & transportation & telecommunications. Compiled by the US Library of Congress.
- Europa World and/or the Regional Surveys of the WorldCovers political and economic information about countries and territories, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
- BBC Country ProfilesProfiles the history, politics, media, economic conditions, & statistical data for nations.
- CIA World FactbookProvides information from the US Central Intelligence Agency on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
- Background NotesInformation on economic conditions, geography, government & political conditions, history, people, & U.S. relations for all nations. Compiled by the U.S. Department of State.
- Foreign Information by CountryInformation and links organized by country.
- Nations of the World - Library of CongressAn annotated guide to sources of information on government and law. Includes selected links to useful and reliable sites for legal information for different nations.
Related Research Guides
by Dwight Mears (PSU) Last Updated Apr 10, 2023 728 views this year
by Kerry Wu Last Updated May 10, 2023 200 views this year
by Dwight Mears (PSU) Last Updated Jan 6, 2023 86 views this year