COVID-19: Coronavirus Facts
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is respiratory illness caused by a new virus in the coronavirus family. Other coronaviruses have caused outbreaks of diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Cases of COVID-19 have been reported worldwide.
- COVID-19 can be transmitted in ALL AREAS, including with hot and humid weather.
- Cold weather and snow cannot kill the virus.
- Taking a hot bath does not prevent the disease.
- The new coronavirus cannot be transmitted through mosquito bites.
- Hand dryers are not effective at killing the coronavirus. You should wash your hands.
- Flu vaccines and pneumonia vaccines do not protect you from the coronavirus.
- People of all ages can be infected with the coronavirus.
- To date there is no specific medicine to prevent or treat the virus. Treatment can relieve symptoms, but not the virus itself.