Community Health: PubMed Help
Tutorials from the National Library of Medicine
- Medical Subject Headings in PubMed TutorialBrief tutorial on MeSH designed to help you:
understand the purpose and structure of the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH); and
use MeSH to search PubMed.
- PubMed TutorialTutorial on basics of PubMed.
Using the Advanced Search Builder Video
Searching with MeSH Terms Video
- PubMed (Interface for MEDLINE)Provides citations and abstracts for journal articles in all areas of medical practice and research from 1953 to the present.
Medical Subject Headings
Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) are a defined set of concepts used in PubMed that provide uniformity and consistency to the literature you find. They are a distinctive feature used in the PubMed search engine. In order to find literature about Community Health or other socially related concepts in PubMed, it helps to know what MeSH terms can help your searches.
MeSH Terms represent concepts found in the literature. Some helpful MeSH Terms are:
- Public Health Administration
- Organization & Administration
- Social Determinants of Health
- Primary Prevention
- Program Evaluation
- Environmental Medicine
- Health Education
- Health Promotion
MeSH Subheadings are qualifiers that can be attached to MeSH Terms. They are used to describe an aspect of a MeSH Term. Some helpful subheadings are: