Community Health: Reference Works
Full-Text Online Reference Databases
- Sage eReferenceContains full text encyclopedias and reference books in the social sciences and humanities. Search by keyword or browse by topic.
- Oxford Reference OnlineContains full text subject encyclopedias, reference works, dictionaries, and handbooks in all disciplines.
- Oxford Handbooks OnlineContains full text Oxford University Press handbooks on topics in the fields of business, management, philosophy, political science, and religion. Handbooks provide overview, background, historical synthesis and reference lists.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (Portland State University Library Content)Features full text scholarly encyclopedias and reference works. This expanded collection of the Oregon Gale Virtual Statewide Reference Library includes Portland State University purchased titles.
Why Reference Works?
Scholarly reference works are useful for the following:
- An overview of a topic
- Topic ideas for a paper topic or narrowing your topic
- Finding keywords for searches
- Bibliographies for further research
Reference works are good starting points for research, but are rarely cited in research as secondary sources.
- Mosby's Medical, Nursing and Allied Health Dictionary byCall Number: R121 .M89 2002 -- 2nd floor referenceISBN: 9780323014304Publication Date: 2001-10-09
- A Dictionary of Public Health (ebook) byCall Number: ebookISBN: 9780195160901Publication Date: 2006-11-23
- Dictionary of Health Education byCall Number: RA440 .D53 2010 -- 2nd Floor ReferenceISBN: 9780195342598Publication Date: 2009-09-28
Encyclopedias & Handbooks
- The SAGE Handbook of Healthcare (ebook) byISBN: 9781847877000Publication Date: 2008-01-01
- Encyclopedia of Public Health byCall Number: RA423 .E53 2002 -- 2nd floor referenceISBN: 9780028653549Publication Date: 2001-11-01
- Encyclopedia of Lifestyle Medicine and Health byCall Number: RA427 .E53 2012 -- 2nd floor referenceISBN: 9781412950237Publication Date: 2012-02-14
- The Encyclopedia of Primary Prevention and Health Promotion byCall Number: RA427.8 .E53 2003 -- 2nd floor referenceISBN: 9780306472961Publication Date: 2003-01-31