Industry & Market Research: Advertising/Brands
Essential publication on the ad industry.
Many media companies list their rates on their websites. Just google [company, e.g., Wall Street Journal] ad rate and you should get to their "media kit" quickly.
- SRDS (print)Media rates (ad price). PSU doesn't have the full or most current run.
It's difficult to find free information on ad spending of a company, esp. by brand and medium (e.g., TV vs. Internet). The PSU Library cannot afford the comprehensive database that provides those detailed data; however, we did purchase the 2015 dataset (the AD$ Summary file listed below) for your reference.
A public company's 10-K report may mention expenditures on advertising. Figures are annual and cover the entire company, not particular brands.
- AD$ Summary (2015)Advertising expenditures by (top) company, industry, brand, and media.
- Business Expenses Survey (Economic Census)Includes advertising expenditures for different industries.
Anecdotal information might have been mentioned in news articles (Google or use library article databases). Search strategy:
- company name AND (adspend OR "advertising spend" OR "advertising expenditure" OR "advertising budget")
- Go to AdvertisingAge or ADWEEK's websites and do a site search for possible articles.
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety CommissionProduct recalls and safety news.
Brands and Marketing Campaigns
- Encyclopedia of Major Marketing Campaigns (2007)ISBN: 9780787673567Online.
- Encyclopedia of major marketing campaigns (2000)ISBN: 078763042X
- Ad*AccessPresents images and information for advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines from 1911 to 1955. Focuses on these subject areas: radio, television, transportation, beauty & hygiene, and World War II.
- Gallery of Graphic DesignCollections of advertising images published in consumer magazines between 1930 and 1969.
- Top Advertising Campaigns of the 21st CenturyHighlights the top 15 ad campaigns so far of the 21st Century. Hosted by Advertising Age.
- Top Ad Campaigns of the 20th CenturyProfiles the top ten. From CNBC.
Consumer Media Usage
- MintelMaintains market research reports and consumer demographic/lifestyle profiles covering U.S. and international marketplaces.
- Simmons InsightsDemographics, psychographics, and media usage of U.S. adult consumers. Allows 5 simultaneous users.
Find Media Outlets
- Media OwnersWho owns what media in the US.
- NewslinkMedia (newspapers, TV, radio) listings by geography.
Find a market research firm
- Blue BookMarketing Research Services Directory.
- ESOMAR Directory of ResearchDirectory of market research companies.
- GreenBookDirectory of market research companies and focus group facilities.