Industry & Market Research: Norms/Ratios
If your company operates in multiple industries, choose its primary industry (available in company profiles).
The sources listed here don't cover ALL industries. Although most of the sources are based on either SIC or NAICS, not every SIC or NAICS code is included. Information is more readily available for broader categories. Industries with little revenue might be left out, and very specific industries might not be included. If you can't find the code you are looking for, use a difference source that includes the code or choose a different (or broader) industry.
Benchmarking: Industry Norms and Ratios
- RMA eStatement StudiesProvides financial ratio benchmarks data (norms and ratios) and industry default probablity data. This is the online version of the RMA annual statement studies.
- IBISWorldIn the report, under the Key Statistics tab, scroll down to the section Industry Financial Ratios; under the Competitive Landscape tab, then Cost Structure Benchmarks
- Business Insights: GlobalType in industry keyword or NAICS code, select the best match under Industry Profile, scroll down to the links under Plunkett Report.
- Mergent OnlineCreate company comparison report to compare norms and ratios of a customized set of companies.
- BizStatsSome free industry statistics, including financial ratios and benchmarks. The subscription-based version (not available at PSU) BizMiner has more in-depth data.
- Retail Benchmark TrendsBy Retail Owners Institute. Key ratios for 55 retail/restaurant segments. Uses RMA data.
- Economic Data from CensusData from the Economic Census and various business-related surveys, including Economic Census, Current Industrial Reports, Annual Survey of Manufacturers, Service Annual Survey, Statistics of U.S. Businesses, E-Commerce, Small Business, Minority/Women Business Owners, and more.
- Ibbotson Cost of Capital YearbookCost of capital and other financial norms and ratios by industry (SIC).
- IRS SOI Tax StatsStatistics on income, deductions (expenditures on equipments, rental, labor, advertising, etc.), taxes, credits, and more reported by businesses (from corporations to sole proprietorships).
- Almanac of business and industrial financial ratios(1971-2014) Print reference book: HF5681.R25 T68, Ready Reference. Organized by NAICS.
- Industry norms and key business ratios(1988-2013) Print reference book: HD9724 .I514, Ready Reference. Organized by SIC.
- RMA annual statement studies(1977-2011; current data in the database RMA eStatement Studies) Print reference book: HC101 .R6, Circulation Desk. Organized by NAICS.
- Mergent OnlineProvides detailed information on US and international public companies.
- Business Insights: GlobalProvides company and industry profiles, including SWOT reports, market share reports, investment reports, articles, financials, and case studies.
- Nexis UniIncludes full text sources for regional, national, and international newspapers as well as business, legal, and medical publications, and also, government documents.