Maps & Other Cartographic Information: More Resources
This guide will help you find maps and other geographic materials at the library
How to Cite a Map
Books of interest
- How Maps Work byCall Number: GA105.3 .M32 1995ISBN: 0898625890Publication Date: 1995-06-09
- Maps : finding our place in the world byCall Number: GA108 .M34 2007ISBN: 9780226010755Publication Date: 2007-11-15
- A history of the world in twelve maps byCall Number: GA201 .B748 2012ISBN: 1846140994Publication Date: 2012
- Maps and Politics byCall Number: GA108.7 .B58 1997ISBN: 0226054934Publication Date: 1998-02-11
- Mapping the Nation byCall Number: GA405.5 .S38 2012ISBN: 9780226740683Publication Date: 2012-07-06
- From Sea Charts to Satellite Images byCall Number: E179 .F84 1990ISBN: 0226079910Publication Date: 1990-06-22
- Historical Atlas of the United States byCall Number: G1201.S1 H4 2007ISBN: 9780520250369Publication Date: 2006-10-17
Gazetteers / Geographic Names
- Geographic Names and Information System (GNIS)Contains information about almost 2 million physical and cultural geographic features in the United States. The Federally recognized name of each feature described in the data base is identified, and references are made to a feature's location by State, county, and geographic coordinates. The GNIS is our Nation's official repository of domestic geographic names information.
- GEOnet Names ServerProvides access to the National Imagery and Mapping Agency's database of foreign geographic feature names.
- Online GazetteerAn extensive list of gazetteers available on the Web.
Find More Online!
National Geographic MapMaker Interactive
Tool to support interactive mapping on tablets, and features have been added to help you view and customize maps. Explore and discover information about countries and territories around the world. Customize the fill and border colors to make this map layer your own.
- Old Maps OnlineSearch for digitized antiquarian maps using a map interface. Defaults to the location of your IP address similar to current smartphone mapping apps. Contains map links from major repositories such as David Rumsey Collections and more.
- Antiquarian Maps, Yale UniversityScanned images of maps dating back to the 16th century.
- Antiquarian Maps, Reed College LibrarySearchable database of antiquarian maps.
- David Rumsey Antiquarian Map CollectionThe historical map collection has over 28,000 maps and images online. The collection focuses on rare 18th and 19th century North American and South American maps and other cartographic materials. Historic maps of the World, Europe, Asia, and Africa are also represented.
- Digital Map Collection (U. of California/ Berkeley)Access to California digital maps as well as non-California digital maps. Includes digital topographic maps, including international locations.
- CUGIR Geospatial Information Repository, CornellScanned and interactive maps of New York from Cornell's collection.
- Maps Stats from Census BureauThis site provides acess to U.S. Census data in cartographic form. Maps are based on the TIGER file maps.
- Sentinel-1 Relative Land Motion Map of the UK 2015-2017This relative land motion map was generated by Geomatic Ventures Limited (GVL) using its in-house advanced interferometric SAR (InSAR) analysis of over 2000 Sentinel-1 satellite images acquired from 2015-2017. More detailed information may be found in the FAQ. The resulting data is copyright Geomatic Ventures Limited 2018.
Federal, State and Local Portals
- Geodata.govGeodata.gov is a web-based portal for one-stop access to maps, data and other geospatial services." Over 15 data categories, including geology, human health, elevation, agriculture, biology, culture, and transportation. Covers federal, state and local levels.
- CIA FactbookDetailed information on communications, economic conditions, geography, government, people, military, transportation, & transnational issues for nearly all nations. Maps provided for all nations.
- National Parks MapsFind a National Park by state and obtain more detailed maps and park information.
- USGSIncludes USGS library, maps, products and publications. As an unbiased, multi-disciplinary science organization that focuses on biology, geography, geology, geospatial information, and water, USGS is dedicated to the timely, relevant, and impartial study of the landscape, our natural resources, and natural hazards.
- Earth ExplorerEarth Explorer is an interactive mapping service for creating data sets from USGS.
- National Ocean Service MapFinderThis interface allows users to locate a local or regional area of interest; find out what information and product offerings are available for that location; and immediately download specific products.
- Catalog of U.S. Government PublicationsSource of maps distributed to Federal Depository Libraries. In many cases, the only index to U.S. Government maps.
- Library of Congress Maps CollectionThis site has historical, military, geographic, and transportation maps plus many other kinds of maps.
- Oregon Department of Forestry Maps and DataVarious datasets on Oregon's forests available for downloading.
- https://www.portlandmaps.com/Created by the City of Portland to provide a new way of accessing public data, including Census data, building permits, crime data, and more.
- The "How Far Is It" ServerDistance Calculator: Enter Two Places, Find Out How Far Apart They Are.
- The Naval Observatory's Time PageAccurate Clocks, a system for setting your own system clock, Sun & Moon Rise & set times, GPS information and data on the GPS satellites, plus links to all sorts of time-related stuff.
- NOAA Solar CalculatorSelect the city in your time zone for sunrise, sunset, solar noon, and solar position for any place on earth.
- WWW Tide and Current PredictorCheck tide tables at the WWW Tide and Current Predictor website.