Maps & Other Cartographic Information: Soil Surveys
This guide will help you find maps and other geographic materials at the library
USDA Logo Natural Resources Conservation Service Soils
- USDA Logo Natural Resources Conservation Service SoilsOnline Soil Surveys, United States by State, County or area, includes Historical Soil Surveys
Soil Surveys are paperbound publications containing text and soil maps. Each Soil Survey covers a county (e.g. Soil Survey of Gilliam County, Oregon). They are cataloged and listed in Portland State's online catalog and are shelved on the 5th Floor at the call # S591 .A22.
What's In a "Soil Survey"?
A table of contents for a typical Soil Survey looks like this:
- Index to soil map units
- General nature of the county
- General soil map
- Soil maps for detailed planning
- Use and management of soils
- Soil properties
- Classification of soils
- Soil series and morphology
- Formation of soils
Only those covering Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska are in the print collection. Online versions of the latest surveys are available through the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service's Web Soil Survey site.
Find More Through Indexes
Soil surveys are also indexed in the Monthly Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (REFERENCE: Z1223 .A18, ONLINE)