Maps & Other Cartographic Information: Soil Surveys
USDA Logo Natural Resources Conservation Service Soils
Soil Surveys are paperbound publications containing text and soil maps. Each Soil Survey covers a county (e.g. Soil Survey of Gilliam County, Oregon). They are cataloged and listed in Portland State's online catalog and are shelved on the 5th Floor at the call # S591 .A22.
What's In a "Soil Survey"?
A table of contents for a typical Soil Survey looks like this:
- Index to soil map units
- General nature of the county
- General soil map
- Soil maps for detailed planning
- Use and management of soils
- Soil properties
- Classification of soils
- Soil series and morphology
- Formation of soils
Only those covering Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska are in the print collection. Online versions of the latest surveys are available through the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service's Web Soil Survey site.
Find More Through Indexes
Looking for Maps? Ask Us!
If you need assistance locating or using the maps and atlases in the Map Collection, please contact:
- The Reference Desk, located on the second floor. Phone number: (503) 725-2399 and Email
- Richard Mikulski, Government Documents & Social Science Librarian (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For more information, try the Geology and Geography guides: