Mechanical and Materials Engineering: Home
In This Guide
This guide will help you begin your research in Mechanical and Materials Engineering through the libraries' collections and beyond.
Use the tabs to navigate through the following pages of the guide:
Find Articles - search for articles online and in print. Recommends the best resources for finding Mechanical and Materials Engineering articles.
Reports & Dissertations - find technical reports, government reports, books, dissertations and theses.
Conference Proceedings - find conference proceedings and options for getting the materials and information on citation formats, citation management tools and more
Standards - find sources for technical information and specifications
Organizations & Web Sources - find professional organizations, scholarly societies and other quality web resources.
Core Online Library Resources
These are likely to be the best online sources in which to start your research.
- InspecIndexes records of international scientific and technical articles in the fields of computer science, electrical engineering, and physics.
- Google ScholarGoogle Scholar searches the academic, scholarly Web for peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles. Searching Google Scholar from the Portland State University Library will identify full text articles available from PSU Library resources as well as open access articles from other universities and colleges.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital CollectionASME’s authoritative, online reference of current and archival literature. It provides unparalleled depth, breadth, and quality of peer-reviewed content including journals, conference proceedings and ASME Press books.
- ACS Web EditionsMaintains the peer-reviewed research journals in the chemical and related sciences from the American Chemical Society (ACS), including journals in materials science and engineering.
- IEEE XploreIndexes full text IEEE and IET journals, conference proceedings, and standards.
- Web of ScienceMaintains citation searching for high impact research journals in the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences and includes emerging sources citation indexing from 2005.
- Compendex (Historical)Historical access to citations and abstracts for engineering and the applied sciences from 1884-1969.
- Civil Engineering DatabaseProvides indexing for the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) content.
- MathSciNetThis is the primary index to literature to mathematics and statistics. It is an excellent source of articles on fluid mechanics.
- ScienceDirectIncludes full text of articles published in Elsevier journals covering agriculture, humanities, genetics, biology, business, accounting, chemistry, engineering, computer sciences, earth and planetary sciences, economics, materials science, medicine, neuroscience, physics, psychology, and other social sciences. Also includes access to selected 2006 imprints of Elsevier ebooks.
ScienceDaily: Materials Science News
Science & Engineering Librarian
Instructors and commercially published journals will use different styles, so check the your instructor or a journal’s home page for the style they use.
- ASME Journals Digital Submission Tool Guidelines and Information: ReferencesLink to the American Society of Mechanical Engineers journal guidelines for formatting references
- The IEEE Guide to Writing in the Engineering and Technical Fields / by David Kmiec & Bernadette Longo. IEEE, 2017This is a link to IEEE’s manual for writing. Including their style for citing references
- IEEE Citation StyleThis is IEEE’s document which lays out their citation style. This is very similar to the style ASME uses in their documents.
- Materials Science Common Citation StyleThis is the citation style for the journal Microscopy and Microanalysis. This is a common style for materials science and engineering.
- Chicago Manual of Style OnlineProvides recommendations on editorial style and publishing practices for the digital age. Funded by donors to the Dean's Fund for Excellence in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
Civil and Environmental Engineering
by Billy Nee Last Updated Jan 25, 2023 58 views this year
Electrical and Computer Engineering
by Billy Nee Last Updated Jan 6, 2023 319 views this year
Engineering and Technology Management
by Billy Nee Last Updated Jan 10, 2023 26 views this year