Immigration: Statistics, Law, and Government Information
Immigration - Oregon Resources
- Multnomah County Library: United States Citizenship ResourcesIncludes links to citizenship class information as well as legal assistance and local citizenship resources.
- Oregon State Bar: Immigration LawDefinitions and overviews of immigration topics in the state of Oregon.
U.S. Laws & Court Cases
- Fastcase: Immigration LawNews and links to laws and court cases regarding immigration.
- Legal Information Reference CenterNOTE: you will need to login with the name of your county of residence (ex: "clackamas"). The password is the word "oregon" in lowercase. Click on the "Immigration & Travel" icon for more information.
United States Data
- Social ExplorerSocial Explorer is an online research tool designed to access current and historical U.S. Census data and demographic information. It contains maps, profile reports, data elements, and variables.
- Bibliography of Data-Related LiteratureMaintains publications and citations based on the Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) data and archives.
- PolicyMapProvides mapping, data, and analytics tools on U.S. demographics, real estate, health, jobs, education, and more topics. Mapping allows for multiple layers and editable data ranges.
Gateways to Federal and State Data
- American FactFinderPrimary online interface for viewing US Census data, including population, housing, economic, geographic, and governmental data.
- Oregon U.S. Decennial Census and American Community Survey ResultsFrom the state Office of Economic Analysis
- Guide to the American Community Survey - CQ PressLooking to learn about how the ACS is different from the old Decennial Survey? Check out this review from CQ Press staff. This is a chapter from the forthcoming 2nd edition of the Encyclopedia of the U.S. Census (in print and ebook)
- Statistical Abstract of the US - HistoricalThe Statistical Abstract of the United States has been published since 1878. It is the authoritative and comprehensive summary of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States. Sources of data include the Census Bureau, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Bureau of Economic Analysis, and many other federal agencies and private organizations
U.S. Government Agencies
Department of Homeland Security
- US Citizen & Immigration Services (USCIS)Oversees lawful immigration to the United States. The agency is a component of the Department of Homeland Security.
- Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE)Enforces federal laws governing border control, customs, trade and immigration to promote homeland security and public safety.
- Customs & Border ProtectionResponsible for inspecting persons and cargo passing through points of entry and securing the borders.
- Immigration Statistics DataKey data sets and resources published by the DHS Office of Immigration Statistics
Department of State
- Bureau of Consular AffairsProvides visa and passport services as well as services for overseas citizens
Country Profiles and International Statistics
Notable resources for international and regional statistical information:
- Europa World and/or the Regional Surveys of the WorldCovers political and economic information about countries and territories, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
- United States Census Bureau: International Data BaseDeveloped by the U.S. Census Bureau to provide access to accurate and timely demographic measures for populations around the world. The database includes a comprehensive set of indicators.
- CIA: The World FactbookDetailed information on communications, economic conditions, geography, government, people, military, transportation, & transnational issues for nearly all nations. Maps provided for all nations.
- UN DataData from the United Nations. Searchable and browseable by country.
- World Bank DataFree and open access to data about development in countries around the globe.
- OECD iLibraryProvides full text access to books, journals, and statistical databases produced by Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development's (OECD) online library.
- UN Human Development ReportsCan read the latest report or look at data, by country, that went into creating the report.
- BBC Country ProfilesProfiles the history, politics, media, economic conditions, & statistical data for nations.
- EIU Viewpoint (Economist Intelligence Unit)Reports on country commerce, country finance, and doing business in various countries. Now called EIU Viewpoint
- World Development Indicators (WDI) OnlineProvides real and financial sector indicators in daily, monthly, quarterly and annual frequencies for developing and high-income countries; regional and global aggregates, such as industrial production, consumer prices, merchandise trade, exchange rates and equity market data.