Manage Your Research Data: Using the DMPTool
This page provides a walk-thru for the DMPTool, a resource that assists researchers in creating data management plans. It provides a step-by-step guide, as well as a DMP template. DMPTool also provides guidelines on what should be addressed in each section of the plan. In addition to general templates, the DMPTool also provides templates designed for specific federal agencies and their divisions. Below is a short step-by-step guide on using the DMPTool.
1) Sign in at the DMPTool home page.
2) PSU is a registered institutional partner, so select Option 1.
3) Type in Portland State University.
4) You will be asked to sign in. If you do not have one already, register for a free account.
5) Once signed in, select "Create Plan."
6) Include the title of your project. Be sure to select the primary funding organization. If applicable, select the appropriate DMP template.
7) Fill in as much information as possible in the "Project Details" section, then move on to "Plan overview."
8) "Plan overview" will provide definitions for the terms you will encounter filling out the DMP template.
9) The "write plan" tab will have several sections. Each will open to provide more detail.
10) Each drop-down will provide a short description of what information is required. On the side of the screen you will find links to funding agency guidelines.
11) The "DMPTool" tab on the right provides detailed explanations of the information required in each section.
12) Once the Plan is completed, there are various ways to share the plan, or you can download it.
13) The plan will be saved in you DMPTool account, and can be revised in the future.