Database Tutorial: RIA Checkpoint: Access & Personal Account
Login through the Library Website
- RIA CheckpointProvides access to U.S. federal and state tax publications, including both primary source materials (e.g., Internal Revenue Code and Federal Tax Cases) and editorial materials (e.g., WG&L Treatises).
Accessing RIA Checkpoint
There are two ways to access RIA Checkpoint and each has its own advantages and disadvantages (search functions and contents are identical):
Through the Library Website: (link above)
- Strength: you can use RIA the same way you use most other library databases.
- Weakness: you won't be able to use certain personalized features such as folders, highlights, and notes.
Through a Personal Account: (instructions below)
- Strength: you will have access to features like folders, highlights, and notes.
- Weakness: you have to create a personal account and it is only good for one semester (you have to re-register when the current account expires).
Create or Renew Your Personal Account
** You don't need a personal account to use RIA. A personal account just provides extra personalized features such as notes, folders, and highlights. **
To create a personal account, go to the account registration page (opens in a new window/tab). If you are off-campus, you may be asked to log in with your PSU (aka, ODIN) ID first. The first time you logged in, you may get a red error message that says "Unable to find an account connected with your IP..." Click the account registration link (above) again and it should go away and lead you to the registration page.
The registration page functions best with Firefox or Chrome. If you are using Internet Explorer 8, you will need to verify that you are in "compatibility view" in order to accept the license agreement. To switch, click on the Tools menu of IE, and choose Compatibility View.
Fill out the form. You MUST use your PSU email (@pdx.edu). Personal accounts created with any other emails can be deleted anytime without warning.
If you already have an account, you will be asked if you want to renew the account. Click Yes to renew and follow the rest of the steps.
You will receive an e-mail with a link to Checkpoint, your computer generated username, and a temporary password (the username can’t be changed so archive the email). The email is typically sent immediately or within an hour of the registration being submitted. Also check your junk or spam folders.
Follow the link and log in with the username and temporary password. You will be prompted to change your password.
Once this process is finished, you can now access Checkpoint from any device (e.g., computer, tablet, smartphone) that has internet access at https://checkpoint.riag.com
Personal accounts automatically expire on July 31 and Dec 31. To renew, follow the steps above from the beginning.
If you access the database through the library link, you will be automatically directed to the general version. To switch to your personal account, click on Sign Out on the upper right corner of the page, then click on Change Login, then log in with your personal account.