Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
In This Guide
This guide will help you begin your research in Civil and Environmental Engineering through the libraries' collections and beyond.
Use the tabs to navigate through the following pages of the guide:
- Find Articles - search for articles online and in print. Recommends the best resources for finding Civil and Environmental Engineering articles.
- Reports & Dissertations - find technical reports, government reports, books, dissertations and theses.
- Conference Proceedings - find conference proceedings and options for getting the materials and information on citation formats, citation management tools and more
- Standards - find sources for technical information and specifications
- Organizations & Web Sources - find professional organizations, scholarly societies and other quality web resources.
ScienceDaily: Civil Engineering News
ScienceDaily: Earth & Climate News
Core Online Library Resources
Maintains citations and abstracts for engineering and the applied sciences up through 1968.
This is the best online database in which to start your research.
Agricultural & Environmental Science
Provides citations, abstracts and full text of articles in agriculture, aquaculture, environmental, ecology, food and human nutrition, and water resources journals, conference proceedings, EPA reports, and books.
Google Scholar searches the academic, scholarly Web for peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles. Searching Google Scholar from the Portland State University Library will identify full text articles available from PSU Library resources as well as open access articles from other universities and colleges.
TRID (Transportation Research Board database)
Provides international transportation research. TRID combines records from TRB's Transportation Research Information Services (TRIS) database and the OECD's Joint Transport Research Centre's International Transport Research Documentation (ITRD) database. Covers the 1960's to the present.
Web of Science
Maintains citation searching for high impact research journals in the arts and humanities, social sciences, and sciences and includes emerging sources citation indexing from 2005.
These databases cover related fields and may be useful, depending on your specific topic.
An authoritative online resource for reliable content on sustainable design strategies, green building materials, and case studies of high performance buildings.
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
Indexes articles about architecture, archaeology, city planning, interior design, landscape architecture, and historic preservation.
Indexes full text IEEE and IET journals, conference proceedings, and standards.