Newspapers: Portland & Oregon Newspapers
Online access to Oregon papers
- Oregon LiveSponsored by the Oregonian Media Group, this site offers free access to some of the current content of the Oregonian newspaper.
- OregonianThis access to the Oregonian begins in 2017 and continues forward to present day. Archival issues between 1987-2017 are available on microfilm.
- Oregonian -- Historical Backfile 1861-1987Contains archival, full text articles of the Oregonian from 1861 to 1987, presented in image format as they appeared in the newspaper.
- Salem Statesmans JournalWeb site of the Statesmans Journal provides selected content.
- Eugene Register GuardRegister Guard's free website offering selected news coverage. Also offers fee-based article delivery of Register Guard articles from 2001 to the present.
- Historic Oregon NewspapersIncludes digitized Oregon newspapers from many smaller towns throughout the state. Dates of coverage vary per paper .
Oregon Newspaper Indexes
- Oregonian Newspaper Index Search (1852-1987)Indexes citations to Oregonian articles published from 1852 to 1987.
- Oregon Newspaper IndexIndexes the Oregonian (Portland, 1852-1987) as well as the University of Oregon student newspaper, The Daily Emerald, and The Register-Guard (Eugene).
Print and microfilm holdings of the Oregonian
The PSU Library has microfilm holdings of the Oregonian from 1862 - 2018 (AN .O74; 2nd floor).
The print paper is received on the Oregonian's print delivery days: Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The print papers are shelved in the newspapers section on the 2nd floor of the Library. The print copies are retained until the microfilm is received (about a three month lag).
3 Paths to News Video
This 3 minute video explains 3 different ways to search for news items.
Selected newspapers in the Portland area:
- Asian ReporterPacific Northwest-based newspaper features international and local northwest news and events with an Asian focus.
- Daily Journal of CommerceCovers construction news, real estate, urban planning, energy, and transportation news for the greater Portland, Oregon metropolitan area. PSU faculty/staff/students please log in with your PSU (ODIN) ID to view username/password. Visitors please contact the Reference Desk.
- Portland Business JournalProvides access to Portland Business Journal (and other city business journals) and Book of Lists. You must create an individual account to access.
PSU faculty/staff/students please create an account using your PDX email
- Portland MercuryLocal news, politics, and gossip.
- Portland ObserverLocal paper committed to cultural diversity.
- Portland TribuneLocal paper with news, politics, and opinion.
- The SkannerAdvancing the Black Press in the Pacific Northwest.
- Street RootsStreet Roots — published weekly in Portland, Oregon — has been Portland's flagship publication addressing homelessness and poverty since 1998.
- Willamette WeekLocal news and politics.