Portland State University Copyright Guide: Home
Welcome to the PSU Copyright Guide. This guide is intended to provide explanatory information about copyright, and guidance in determining if the use you would like to make of copyrighted material is allowed by law or can be considered via exemptions in the law.
- Copyright Basics - what are the rights, who holds them, how long do they last, what's covered
- Fair Use & Tools and Checklists - Fair use is one of the important provisions of copyright law which supports educational uses of copyrighted materials under certain circumstances
- TEACH Act & Checklists - Provisions of the Technology, Education and Copyright Harmonization Act as they apply to using copyrighted materials in online instruction
- Reasonable Academic Accommodations - Provisions in the law for adapting materials to accommodate the needs of individuals with disabilities
- Teaching with Copyrighted Materials - Guidance in considering both face to face and online educational uses of copyrighted materials
- Creative Commons Licenses - Mechanisms for easily communicating permissions for uses of copyrighted material
- Open Educational Resources - Find materials (images, media, texts) which can be freely used
- Getting Permission - Sometimes you will need to ask. Suggested strategies for requesting and documenting permission.
Credits and Contacts
This guide is authored and maintained by Elsa Loftis.