Challenge Library Guide for Western Civilization - Vannelli - St. Mary's: Images for European History
The resources listed below are related to general world history or for specified areas outside the U.S.
- Before Byzantium: The Early Activities of Thomas Whittemore (1871-1931)Photographs from the Dumbarton Oaks ICFA Collections that were taken in Egypt and Greece between 1910 and 1930.
- British LibraryOnline gallery of virtual books and online exhibitions with objects from the British Library Collections.
- Chartres: Cathedral of Notre DameA collection of over 3,000 images of Chartres Cathedral, including stained glass, sculpture, structure, and views.
- Corsair Images from Medieval and Renaissance ManuscriptsCorsair is the online research resource of the Pierpont Morgan Library providing access to over 250,000 records for medieval and Renaissance manuscripts, rare and reference books, literary and historical manuscripts, music scores, ancient seals and tablets, drawings, prints, and other art objects.
- EuropeanaEuropeana is a single access point to millions of books, paintings, films, museum objects and archival records that have been digitised throughout Europe.
- Gallica Bibliothèque Nationale de FranceDocuments and images from the Bibliothèque Nationale.
- Images of EnglandOver 300,000 images of England's built heritage, including buildings, bridges, churches, gravestones, lampposts, etc.
- Imago Urbis: Giuseppe Vasi's Grand Tour of RomeAn interactive database combining Vasi's views of Rome and Nolli's map of Rome to give a comprehensive and phenomenal view of 18th century Rome.
- Machiel Kiel Photographic Archive of Ottoman Architecture of the BalkansApproximately 1300 images of Ottoman-Islamic architectural monuments in Southeast-Europe. Additional images will be added. Sponsored by the Netherlands Institute in Turkey (NIT).
- MetisQuicktime Video of many ancient Greek sites.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art Timeline of Art HistoryImages of art and design throughout history, presented in timeline format.
- PastscapeAccess to records and images of English archaeological, architectural, and martime heritage.
- Photographic Archives of the Oriental Institute, University of ChicagoPhotographs from UC expeditions to Egypt, the Sudan, ancient Iran, and Iraq.
- Russian Posters Collection (Duke Univ.)Russian political posters from 1920's forward.
- University of Chicago Library -- Middle East Photograph ArchiveImages of the Middle East from photographs and postcards of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, particularly of Cairo.
- World ImagesA database of over 50,000 images including many areas of imagery (art, architecture, science, etc.).