UNST180A Portland: Soponis: Government and News
Useful Government Websites
Multnomah | Washington | Clackamas
Portland | Metro Regional Government
For more regional information see:
Pacific Northwest State and Local Resources
Other Useful Websites
- Oregon Blue BookThe official state directory and fact book about all levels of government in Oregon. Published since 1911, it is produced and updated by the Oregon State Archives.
- Oregon Explorer: Natural Resources Digital LibraryOregon Explorer provides a web-based natural resources digital library by integrating data from state and federal agencies, local governments, university scientists, and citizens. A collaboration between Oregon State University Libraries and the Institute for Natural Resources.
- Oregon Sustainable Community Digital LibraryArchives a central online repository of key urban planning documents on the Portland Metropolitan area. Includes planning reports, digital images, and other grey literature.
Google Site Searching Video
3 Paths to News Video
Selected newspapers in the Portland area:
- Portland MercuryLocal news, politics, and gossip.
- Portland ObserverLocal paper committed to cultural diversity.
- Portland TribuneLocal paper with news, politics, and opinion.
- Willamette WeekLocal news and politics.
- Street RootsA weekly social justice newspaper sold by people experiencing homelessness and poverty to earn an income.
- Portland Business JournalProvides access to Portland Business Journal (and other city business journals) and Book of Lists. You must create an individual account to access.
PSU faculty/staff/students please create an account using your PDX email
Due to cost, PSU Library will no longer be able to provide complete online access to the Oregonian articles published from 1987 - present.
To access selected articles use the Oregonian link below. Also, the oregonlive.com web site provides free access to some recent Oregonian articles and supports fee-based article delivery of all Oregonian articles ($1.95 per article). The Multnomah County Public Library does still subscribe to the Oregonian.
- Oregonian -- Historical Backfile 1861-1987Contains archival, full text articles of the Oregonian from 1861 to 1987, presented in image format as they appeared in the newspaper.
- Oregonian Newspaper Index Search (1852-1987)Indexes citations to Oregonian articles published from 1852 to 1987.
- Oregon Newspaper IndexIndexes the Oregonian (Portland, 1852-1987) as well as the University of Oregon student newspaper, The Daily Emerald, and The Register-Guard (Eugene).