In this Guide
This guide will help you to find eBooks and use them on the device of your choice. The Portland State University Library collects eBooks from a variety of companies, and each has different rules regarding use, download, printing, etc.
Use the tabs above or click on the following links to access
- On this page - You can search for eBooks in our collection, learn how to limit to eBooks in the catalog, and what to do if we don't have an eBook you want.
- What You Can Do With Our eBooks - A chart describing what you can do (access, download, print, etc.) with each of the eBook collections available through the PSU Library.
- eBook Collections - A listing of searchable eBook collections organized by subject area.
- The next four pages describe how to access and/or download eBooks for different types of hardware:
- Computer - how to download and/or read eBooks on your computer.
- iOS (Apple) Devices - learn which providers allow you to easily download and read books offline on iPads and iPhones.
- Android Devices - learn which provicers allow you to easily download and read books offline on Android phones and tablets.
- eBook Readers - learn how to download eBook content to Nooks, Kindles and Kobos.
eBooks at other libraries
PSU has a growing collection of ebooks. However, ebooks are not transferable so while we can borrow print books through the SUMMIT corsortia, ebooks cannot be shared in the same way.
This is an example of an ebook that we don't have access to:
However, if you click on the link for Editions and formats, you can see if it is available in print which can be requested via SUMMIT. For this title, there is a print version available in SUMMIT:
Notice this example has the format of Book and if you click on the title link, you can request using SUMMIT.
eBooks via Your Public Library
There's also a possibility that the eBook you want is available via a local public library for which you already have a library card. Here are links to the eBook collections of public libraries local to Portland State.
Search for eBooks
Searching in this box will retrieve only eBooks held by Portland State University. Please note: if you do another search within the catalog, it will default to all format types.
How to find eBooks in the Library Catalog
To access an eBook, click on the title in the results list, you will then see a page that looks like the one below. Click on the link under Find a copy online for Portland State University. The link will have a different title depending on the publisher, but it will be in the same place.